Since the credit hire companies/Accident management companies started working, some people earned a lot of money by involving in a staged/planned road traffic accidents. It is costing £340m a year to insurance companies and additionally millions of pounds more in investigation of such claims. Crash for cash scam is most popular in some specific areas of England used by fraudsters who consciously and deliberately crash into the innocent motorists e.g. Coventry earns spot in top 10 list of crash for cash locations as per Coventry telegraph news. Sometime fraudsters submit false claims for road traffic accidents.
Sometime fraudsters claims for ghost personal injuries where the claimant was not in the car at the time of accident. Usually passengers do not want to put a claim for whiplash/jerk/ mental anguish but fraudsters insists them to claim for personal injury or present their own friends/family as passengers at the time of road traffic accident to earn more money.
Government, insurance companies and some claims management companies like Continental Car Hire Ltd are continuously working together to highlight such fraudulent claims and to discourage fraudsters. We (Continental Car Hire Ltd) are actively involved in assisting people that how to tackle such situations and what should they do to avoid being involved in crash for cash scams.
Although, Law enforcement authorities have already taken some strong steps to save the people from fraudsters and to seize crash for cash scams e.g. Police captured a gang and presented in Court who faked more than 120 car accidents and earned more than £1m within three years as per daily mail news report published on 8 September 2011. However, we are still investing much money to investigate such cases because as a claims management company, it is our social, business, legal and ethical responsibility to develop and maintain a healthy business practice for the betterment of UK and to help only the innocent people involved in a road traffic accident by providing them on spot like to like vehicle replacement / courtesy car, Recovery, Storage & Repair services and claims processing services free of cost without any hassle.
We are enlisting below some important points to remember if involved in a crash for cash scam.
1. First of all you have to be patient and DO NOT argue with third party driver or passengers.
2. No need to accept the liability on spot.
3. And importantly, call the police and tell them that you think the accident has been devised as cash for crash scam and request them to attend immediately.
4. Try to get the police report to support your claim.
5. Look around at the scene of accident closely if you can find a CCTV camera to get footages to make your claim stronger.
6. Try to collect the information about the scene of accident as much as it is possible like vehicle Registration of third party, make and model of the vehicle, number of passengers, location, date & correct time, weather condition, full name and contact numbers of all the people in TP vehicle specially driver, their date of birth, gender of passengers and driver too.
7. Make a sketch for seating plan of passengers in third party vehicle at the time of accident and also take a note about their injuries.
8. Get pictures or video of your vehicle and as well as third party vehicle highlighting the damages.
9. Make another sketch to demonstrate the scene of accident before and after the event.
10. Also take a note if third party driver is reading from some pages, reacting confidently, calling someone and taking instructions or if they have already filled forms with them to record accident details etc.
11. Try to get name, number and address of any independent eyewitness to support your claim.
12. Take a note about how the third party vehicle left the scene of accident i.e. towed by someone, driven by their selves, or recovered by a truck etc and take their vehicle registration as well if towed or transported.
13. You should inform your insurer about the incident.
14. Lastly, you can contact us at 0208 740 3756 to get a replacement car for yourself, storage facility, Recovery of your vehicle from the scene of accident and for any type of relevant claim.
For public awareness and their utmost safety, here are some tips to minimize the risk of being involved by the Cash for Crash fraudsters:
• Always be active and focus on your driving and traffic around you.
• Most of the time, fraudster's vehicle won't show brake lights. If you see that the vehicle in front of you is applying brakes but lights are off then you must increase the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.
• If the driver or passengers of the vehicle in front of you are focusing on the vehicles coming behind and focusing on you without any reason that could be a warning sign for you that they are aware and waiting for an opportunity to have a collision (back-hit) with your vehicle. So increase the distance and be more attentive in this case.
• Take a note if the vehicle in front of you is slowing down and accelerating without any reason.
• You have to be more attentive while you are at roundabout or slip road because majority of fraudsters use these areas to induce an accident.
• Sometime there can be two cars ahead (both may try to stage an accident by involving your vehicle) and both of them may drive unsteadily. But, you have to maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicles in front of you.
• Always try to maintain a good distance between your vehicle and other vehicles around you.
• Lastly, if you notice that the vehicle in front of is damaged from rear then be alert and increase the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.